Monday, September 19, 2016

The Bookish Bookin Book Tag

     So today I am going to be doing the Bookish Bookin Book Tag. What is that you ask? Well, let me tell you. Book tags are a type booktube video that I am simply changing into a blog post. The idea is that someone comes up with a series of related questions, makes a video answering those questions, and then 'tags' other people to answer the same questions and it just keeps going. So, obviously, I am not on booktube so I have not been tagged and I will not be tagging anyone else. Although if you want to answer these questions by all means feel free. 
     The creator of this tag is Bekah AwesomeBookNut. You can check out her video here

     
What is a well loved book that you hated?
     I actually tend to avoid many well loved books so I had a little trouble coming up with an answer to this question. I have decided to preface my answer with a small disclaimer. I do not hate this book, I just am not as in love with it as the rest of the world seems to be and that is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I have read this book more than once and I honestly don't get the mass appeal. It's fine, just not anywhere near the top of my favorites list. 

What is a guilty pleasure book?
     Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins...cheesy (clean) romance...but so cute...

Have you ever spoiled a book for someone? If so, which book?
     Not that I know of...although I'm about to in the next question so you might want to skip that one.

What book made you ugly cry?
     The Penderwicks in Spring by Jeanne Birdsall, the fourth book in the Penderwicks series. !SPOILER ALERT! The little girl thinks her dog dies because she doesn't love it enough...It's a children's book! What kind of horrible monster are you Ms. Birdsall?!?!?!?!

What is your latest DNF (did-not-finish)?
     Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect by Connally Gilliam. I was really hoping for something encouraging and uplifting and all I got was anecdotes about how hard it is to be single...yeah, I got that, thanks. If loving the single life includes reading your book, no thanks!

Which book have you read due to controversy?
     Harry Potter...all 7 books...I spent an entire summer dragging myself through those books and I really didn't like them. I found them boring and the writing sub par. People kept telling me I had to make it to the end of the series before I passed judgement. Challenge accepted, now I intend to pass judgement for the rest of my life.  

Have you read a book where you questioned the author's sanity?
     Everything by Jasper Fforde but in a good "I love the insanity" type of way!

What is the most cringe-worthy book you've read?
     Honestly, I just finished Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling and that one made me cringe a few times. There were several racist and derogatory comments that I just had trouble getting around. Normally, things like this that are dated I just kind of take in stride knowing that it is a reflection of the time it was written but I really had trouble with this one. 

Which book have you read solely due to the cover?
     Just this summer I picked up Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. 
Not excellent writing by any means but a fun fluff read. 
And the cover is GORGEOUS!

Name a book you're embarrassed to admit you've read.
     Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharyn McCrumb but it has nothing to do with the book itself. I think it is a great book and I highly recommend it but just saying the title makes me cringe a little and jump very quickly to an explanation. (It's a murder mystery set at a sci-fi convention in case you're wondering. Hilarious!)

Name an unknown book you wish more people knew of.
     I'm going to have to go with The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery, one of the lesser known books of a well known author. This is my all time favorite book and I cannot sing its praises enough. You need to read this book! 

Name a favorite villain.
     Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events!!!

Name a book you enjoyed that is outside the normal genres you usually read.
     Another difficult question because I read pretty broadly across several genres. I'm not big into graphic novels but I really enjoyed Maus by Art Spiegelman probably because it touches on my fascination with World War II.

Name tropes you actually enjoy reading.
     (A trope is a commonly reoccurring literary device or cliche)
     I always love a good vs. evil theme, or fairy tale themes like the lost princess or the royal who doesn't know she's royal. 

What/who inspired you to join Booktube?
     Obviously no one, since I didn't join. But I will give you three of my favorite booktubers that I just love to watch. If you're are interested be sure to check out:
     Caitlin at Book Chats
     Kailey at Books for MKs
     Lesley at WordsofaReader


Just a reminder to all my wonderful readers that these are opinions and not gospel truth. Don't hate me just because I dissed Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter...You can hate on The Blue Castle if you want...hahahaha, just kidding, no you can't, keep your hate to yourself!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment