Friday, February 17, 2017

Weekly Wrap Up 2/17/17

Some Writer! The Story of E.B.White by Melissa Sweet
This biography was published just last year and is geared towards young readers. I knew next to nothing about White. In fact, until this past year I had never even read Charlotte's Web. I really enjoyed learning more about this author without having to commit to a big wordy biography. This book is very visually engaging. It resembles a scrapbook with lots of pictures, snippets of other writing he had published over the years, letters, and lots of random ephemera. Definitely worth perusing!





Scythe by Neal Shusterman
I've mentioned before my love of dystopian novels. I appreciate how they create questions that I have never contemplated. Scythe did not disappoint. This novel is set in a future where we have conquered death. No one dies of old age or disease or accident. The body can quickly heal itself from any affliction (even throwing yourself out of a tall building and "splatting"). Because of this, overpopulation has become a massive problem. Scythes are  those tasked with killing people and keeping the population under control. This book follows Citra and Rowan, two teenagers who have been apprenticed to a Scythe. This is a young adult novel (which I am not a fan of) so there is a little bit of romance and teen angst but it doesn't get in the way of the story. All in all a very entertaining read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment