Friday, February 3, 2017

Weekly Wrap Up 2/3/17

I finished two books this week, yay! (Hey, at least it's an improvement from the last two weeks...)


 The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma

This is a memoir telling the story of Alice and her librarian father who decide to challenge themselves to read aloud together every night for one hundred nights. "The Streak", as it later comes to be called, continues for over 3000 nights, until the day Alice leaves for college. When I picked up this book I was expecting stories of special moments shared over the reading of books, what I got was the story of a girl growing up with a single father. The nighttime reading becomes only the setting for the story of a relationship between two people. This book was a very quick and sweet read but there was nothing in it that stood out and made it memorable. Enjoyable, but not something I would pick up again.


Once On a Time by A.A. Milne

(Yes, this is the A.A. Milne of Winnie the Pooh fame. Turns out he wrote other books as well.)

This is a satire of a traditional classic fairy tale. It features a ridiculous king, a silly princess, an evil countess, and a rather cocky prince who all find themselves at war with the neighboring kingdom for really no reason at all. This whimsical tale is full of humor and will leave you feeling happy and content. 






Currently Reading:
Though I only completed two books this week I made significant progress on three others: Age of Myth by Michael Sullivan, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. All three of these are pretty hefty books so overall I am very pleased with the amount I accomplished this week.

What is on your currently reading stack?





No comments:

Post a Comment