Friday, May 26, 2017

Opps...It's Definitely Time for a Wrap-Up...

I know it's been a couple of weeks since I have updated you on what I've been reading. The truth is I haven't been reading as much as I would like to and therefore, I feel like I haven't had much to say. But I finally have a few ideas floating around in my brain that I want to share with you. So without further ado, here is what I've been reading the last couple weeks.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

I thought this book was absolutely charming. It follows Clay Jannon, who gets a job as a clerk in a 24 bookstore. He soon discovers that the bookstore contains all manner of puzzles and mysteries and begins a journey that will lead him into the midst of a secret society and to the beginnings of a 500 year old mystery. This book is whimsical and sweet and just a light and fun read. 






Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder


The third in the Little House series, this book focuses on the childhood of Laura Ingalls eventual husband, Almanzo Wilder. I love the contrast between their two childhoods, while Laura's family had very little, the Wilders had an abundance but were still taught to work hard and be diligent and disciplined. Plus all the descriptions of the food they ate made my mouth water!


 Maud by Melanie J. Fishbane

This brand new release is a fictionalized account of the teenage years of Lucy Laud Montgomery. It is geared toward younger readers and honestly, I think I would have absolutely loved this book as a teenager. As an adult, I still enjoyed it but it was not what I was hoping it would be. Montgomery is known for her descriptive writing and that was what I was hoping for when I picked up this book but overall it fell just a little flat for me. There is too much telling instead of showing. Also, the focus is too much on her romances and flirtations as a teen. Again, it's not a bad book, it's just not what I was hoping for. What it has done is inspire me to read Montgomery's journals for myself.


The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature by Elizabeth Kantor

Non-fiction discussing the lack of classical education when it comes to literature and how our current educational focus is about interpreting literature in light of current events and hot button issues instead of studying great literature and striving to understand the genius of the writer. A reminder that poetry is meant to be memorized, plays are meant to be seen, and great literature is meant to be discussed and gossiped about. Though I didn't agree with the author entirely (do we ever agree with authors entirely?), I very much appreciate her perspective and her desire that great literature be studied simply because it is great.



That is all for today but just know that I am excited about the books I am currently reading so I will be back soon! What will you be reading this weekend???

No comments:

Post a Comment