Monday, January 9, 2017

Looking Forward...

Today I thought I would talk about books, authors, and genres that I am really excited to read in this coming year. Not the books that I feel I need to get to or the ones that I stare guiltily at on the shelves. These are the books I really get excited about the thought of reading soon.  


The Brontes
I love a good gothic novel. I love the tragedy. It seems so much more realistic to me than, for example, a Jane Austen novel. I love that characters have to make hard choices and sometimes they make the right ones and sometimes they don't. I recently reread Jane Eyre and am planning to reread Wuthering Heights in the near future. But I am really looking forward to delving into the Brontes lesser known works. I've heard nothing but good and I am hoping to make it through the entire Bronte canon this year. 






The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier
I can't believe I have not read this book yet. I love her first novel Juliet and I was so excited when this one came out but for some reason, I didn't get around to reading it and then I kind of forgot about it. The good news is, I have it now, in my possession (thank you library!) and I am going to read it within the next week or two. 





Fantasy
I have not read a lot of fantasy in my adult life even though I would consider it one of favorite genres. I grew up with Tolkien and C.S. Lewis and my few ventures into other fantasy authors did not pan out well. Luckily, fantasy seems to have made a resurgence in the past few years. This, unfortunately, means that there is even more terrible fantasy out there but I have also heard many favorable reviews of specific authors. So I am looking forward to trying out some Brandon Sanderson, Michael J. Sullivan, and Guy Gavriel Kay. (Confession: Guy Gavriel Kay was recommended to me years ago and I have yet to read him...sorry Becky...) 





Dystopian
I find it really difficult to discover good dystopian books, but when I find them I love them! I've heard good things about both the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown and Scythe by Neal Schusterman so I plan on checking out both of those this year and hopefully discovering some new favorites.




Also, there is rumor of a new Jasper Fforde book this year which will, of course, shoot directly to the top of the currently reading pile when it comes out...no official release date yet...I will wait semi-patiently...

That's it for today, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment