Friday, November 25, 2016

Friday Reads 11/25/16

Well, you'd think since it was a holiday week I would have read more than usual and I honestly feel like I did, but my read list for the week certainly doesn't reflect that. 

William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
The second installment in the Shakespeare Star Wars series (or 5th depending on how you look at it). These books are just so creative and humorous. Who doesn't want to hear what R2-D2 is thinking? I didn't like this book quite as well as the first one, but I didn't like the movie version quite as well as the first one either. 3.5 stars

William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return by Ian Doescher
Yep, once I finished book 2 I went right on to book 3 and honestly I felt the same way about it as I did about the second. I enjoyed it but still didn't quite measure up to the first one. Maybe the concept was just so new and fresh in the beginning but as I got used to it the shine wore off a little bit. Still a great read, especially for fans of Star Wars. 3.5 stars







The Secret Keepers by Trenton Lee Stewart
This is the new book by the author of The Mysterious Benedict Society books. I loved those books and was definitely looking forward to this one as well and it did not disappoint. The Secret Keepers follows young Reuben, an 11 year old boy who is a loner and spends his days wandering around his neighborhood trying not to be seen. One day he finds a mysterious artifact and soon discovers it's almost magical properties. He finds himself hunted by a powerful man with a dark secret of his own. Reuben's discovery leads him to new friends and exciting and dangerous adventures. This book definitely has the same sort of vibe as the Mysterious Benedict Society and I loved it just as mush, if not a little bit more. I have heard some complaints that this book is too long and at just over 500 pages I understand that criticism but I did not feel that was the case. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it never felt like it was dragging. Highly recommend, 4.5 stars

I still have a holiday weekend ahead of me so here's hoping for much more reading time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment