Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday 11/23/16

Today's Top 5 Wednesday topic is:


Books I want to Re-Read!!!

I love to re-read books. Given the choice between only reading new books or only re-reading books I would, without hesitation, choose to re-read my favorites for the rest of my life. I wouldn't want to live in a world where I could never again pick up those well worn paperbacks on my shelves. In thinking about this topic there were a couple different ways I could address it, but I have chosen to go with books I re-read most often. These are the books the go on the re-read list as soon as I put them back on the shelves after a re-read. Without further ado:

#5 The Anne of Green Gables Books and the Emily Trilogy by L.M. Montgomery

Okay, I know that this is cheating a little bit but I couldn't pick just one. They are so good. What I love about these is that they are the ultimate comfort read. Any mood, any setting, any time of year, these are the perfect books to pick up and get lost in. Absolutely wonderful!






#4 The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

These books are the ultimate adventure story. A story of good versus evil. A story of triumph, perseverance, and friendship. A story of doing the right thing even when it is not the easy thing. Seriously, I could read these book over and over again (and do!). 



#3 The Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde

I cannot sing the praises of Jasper Fforde enough. This series is candy to book lovers. Thursday Next is a Jurisfiction agent, meaning she polices the book world. So for example, when Hamlet escapes from his book, she gets to track him down.  The more I re-read them the more literary references I discover and the more humor I catch. Also, if I ever go to a literary costume party, I am dressing up as Thursday Next.












#2 The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis 

What re-read list would be complete without these wonderful books? I have such good memories of having these read to me as a child and reading them myself as soon as I was able. These are books I often pull out around Christmas time.






  #1 The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

Yes, we're going back to the world of L.M Montgomery. This book, though not nearly as well known as her other books, is my absolute favorite book of all time. I cannot even count how many times I have read this treasure. Whenever I make a new friend and we are discussing books (because why else would you make a new friend?) this question always comes up. "But have you read The Blue Castle?" Half the time I am met with the widened eyes and eager assurances of a kindred spirit. The rest of the time I am met with confusion. I always hand over my paperback with the cover falling off and wait to see what their response is once they have read it. That alone determines whether we can continue with our friendship or not. Do yourself a favor, read this book. You'll thank me. 



That's it for Top 5 Wednesday. If you want more info be sure to check out the goodreads group here.

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment