Friday, October 21, 2016

Readathon TBR - October 2016

Readathon begins in less than 24 hours and I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the question remains, how do you select books for readathon? The key is variety. I like to have around 20 options that I can choose from the day of the readathon. I don't lay out a specific list of 3 or 4 books I have to read because it is supposed to be fun, but limited options are important because I don't want to waste time perusing my bookshelves when I could be reading. I know a lot of people recommend having short stories and graphic novels on hand. I'm not a huge fan of either of those things, so find what you like and again, variety is key. I also look for books with bigger print that will read fairly quickly. I want to feel like I am making progress. I tend to go for shorter books, often middle grade. I do like to throw in some non fiction, as well as something comical and something that is just out of the ordinary. During the readathon I usually read one or two books straight through in the early hours. As it gets later and I get tired I tend to shuffle between multiple books. Just remember, have fun and do what works for you. You determine what success is!

Here are the books I have selected as potential reads:


God Save the Queen by Dorothy Cannell - A fun cozy mystery, if I need something light and humorous.
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware 
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - These two books I don't know a whole lot about. I received them both from Book of the Month Club and have heard good things about them. Seems like they will be fast paced, thriller type reads if I need something to pull me in quickly.
Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi - Middle grade fantasy. This book has had so much buzz around it the last couple months so I decided it would be a good readathon selection. This will probably be what I start with tomorrow.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Another book with a lot of buzz that has been sitting on my shelf for quite awhile now...I should really get to this one soon...
The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett - I think this one has been on my readathon stack twice now. I think the third time may be the charm though.
William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher - Star Wars if Shakespeare had written it. I said pick something out of the ordinary...
A Little Princess and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - It is really sad that I have never read either of these books.
The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carmen - Another middle grade fantasy. This one has been on my radar for a long time. Hopefully I will finally get to it this weekend!
First Term at Mallory Towers, Second Form at Mallory Towers, and The Island of Adventure by Enid Blyton - I have been wanting to read more of Blyton's books so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. 

The last 7 books are potential rereads:
The Bad Beginning and The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket - I need to reread these before the Netflix show comes out in January.
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - Just finished rereading Jane Eyre so if seemed like the perfect time to reread this one.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Been wanting to reread this one all year.
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis - It has been years since I read this and it is definitely time for a reread. In case you don't know, Lewis (famous for his Chronicles of Narnia) also wrote a science fiction trilogy. This is the first one. Read it.
The Golden Key and The Wise Woman by George MacDonald - Fairytales


I will not be updating this blog during the readathon, but if you want updates throughout the day be sure to follow my facebook page, ElizabethAnne Reads. Best of luck to everyone participating in the readathon!!! Remember you determine what success is for you! Have fun and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment