Monday, October 31, 2016

Thoughts on Book Adaptations

As a kid, I loved movies. Honestly though, what kid doesn't? As an adult, they have lost quite a bit of their appeal. It's rare that I will sit and watch a movie instead of reading a book and generally, I am not a big fan of movie adaptations of books. There are a few exceptions. I love Anne of Green Gables (the first two parts, not the third, bleh!). I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy was very well done. To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent film (and Gregory Peck, yes please!). I also have to mention The Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. So good, just so so good. But even these movies that I love, if given the choice between the movie or the book, I would still always pick the book. 

There has been a lot of buzz surrounding the upcoming Netflix adaptation of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. This series has long been at the top of my list of books I would like to see made into a good film or television series (emphasis on the word good) and I am looking forward to seeing how well done it turns out to be (fingers crossed). 

So the question of the day is: What other books or book series would make good movies, mini series, or television shows?

The Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde
A detective show with a twist. You have a female protagonist who is smart, witty, and fierce and a mix of literary characters from Hamlet to Jane Eyre to Mrs. Tiggywinkle. How could that not be entertaining? (Side note: I'm not going to mention anything else by Fforde but I just want to say that any of his books would make excellent shows.)

The Enola Holmes Series by Nancy Springer
This is a middle grade series about the little sister of Sherlock Holmes. I know there are a million Sherlock adaptations out there, some good, some less good, but I think this one has potential to reach a different audience. Enola is very much her own person. She is creative, thinks for herself and follows her own path. What young girl wouldn't love that in a show?

Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis
I'm thinking epic mini series for this one. Time travelers that get stuck in London during the blitz and are unable to get back home? Time travel, World War II, and London. That's a winning combination right there.

What books would you like to see adapted into film?


1 comment:

  1. There have been adaptations of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, but they always looked cheap and shabby to me. I'd like to see a big-budget version of them, doing justice to the world he created. His books would lend themselves really well to adaptations, too.

    ReplyDelete