Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday 10/26/16

And we're back with Top 5 Wednesday! (Insert spiel about T5W yada yada information more words etc...check out the goodreads group here

Today's topic is spooky settings. I don't actually read a lot of spooky books so I'm going to focus more on atmospheric settings or books where the environment or setting takes on a character of its own. So here we go, in no particular order:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
This is the ultimate atmospheric novel. Both the land and the weather seem to reflect the mood of the characters and if you haven't read it, it's MESSED UP! (But in a good way...kind of...)

The Moor by Laurie R. King
Mystery novel. What is it about Scotland and the moors that seem to say stormy and spooky? Seriously, can you think of a novel set on the moor that is happy and light?

Beauty by Robin McKinley
A retelling of Beauty and the Beast. This one is not spooky at all but it has an amazing castle that takes on a life of it's own. The halls and passages seem to move and shift to lead characters in certain directions. 

For a very broad category I'm going to say anything Dystopian. I love reading dystopian novels but the thought of actually living in a world where they hold The Hunger Games or Big Brother watches you...chills...

And lastly, I am going to mention my ultimate spooky setting. Abandoned Hospitals (especially mental hospitals). I have no book to use as an example because WHY WOULD I READ SOMETHING SET IN AN ABANDONED HOSPITAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Nightmares for life...seriously...


*shudder*

I'm just going to leave you with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment