Monday, October 24, 2016

Readathon Wrap Up

We made it! We competed another 24 hour readathon. This was my third Deweys and I can't even begin to express how much I look forward to these events.(I am already planning ahead for the next one in April!) This year I managed to stay awake for 22 hours, I took a two hour nap at around hour 17. So I spent 21-22 hours reading. In that time I completed 3 books and started 3 others, and read a total of 1267 pages. 

I started the day with Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi. I had purchased this book and set it aside specifically for this readathon and I was not disappointed. This book was fantastic! It is a middle grade fantasy that tells the tale of Alice, a colorless girl in a colorful world. The writing was poetic and the story creative. My only complaint was that it wrapped up a little too quickly in the end but I thought the book was great and would highly recommend it!

After that I decided to go with something completely different so I picked up The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. This is a thriller about a woman on a cruise who witnesses a murder...or does she? I liked this book, the story was fairly interesting and fast paced. But overall I thought the characters fell a little flat and the story was a little predictable. An engaging read but it's not something I would read again. 

I needed something light and easy after that so I chose First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton. Originally published in 1946, this is the first book in a series set in a girls boarding school and tells the adventures of a small group of girls as they learn about friendship and making right choices. It was exactly what I expected and I enjoyed it. 

Those were the three books I read in their entirety during the readathon. I also started reading Second Form at Malory Towers (book #2 in the above mentioned series), I started a reread of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, and made it almost all the way through William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope. Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Shakespeare had written Star Wars? Well you should because someone mused on that idea once and created something brilliant and hilarious. 

That's all I have for you today. I hope you also had a great weekend and read a good book or two (or three or four or...you get the point...). Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment