Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Favorite Non-Fiction of 2016

Since my post on Monday focused on fiction, today I wanted to mention just a few of the great non-fiction books I have read this year. 


The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart
I mentioned this one just a few weeks ago. It's a sweet memoir about an American in Paris and his love affair with the piano, not just with music, but with the piano as an object, as a piece of art. As a pianist myself, I loved this new perspective on my art form. 

Time Was Soft There by Jeremy Mercer
Another memoir in Paris, this one set in the famous Shakespeare & Co bookshop. This is a must read for book lovers. Mercer captures a world that we would all like to be part of. (Did you know people actually live in this bookshop?)

The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck 
This one is not set in Paris. This is the story of Buck and his brother recreating a journey on the Oregon trail, complete with mules and covered wagons. This book is full of humor and history and the author manages to keep you interested even when he goes into a 20 page history of mules...I never knew I wanted to know about mules...

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
This is the book that set of the barefoot running craze a few years back. No matter what side of the fence you land on in that argument, if you are at all interested in running I suggest picking up this book. I found the history of the reclusive Tarahumara tribe and their passion for running to be fascinating and inspiring. 


The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer
If Elizabethan England fascinates you and you want to more than who ruled and who was fighting whom, I suggest this book. It gives you all the mundane details of everyday life for both the rich and the poor from what they ate to what they wore, to how they lived, the games they played, even the words they used. If you like interesting random tidbits, this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment