Monday, December 19, 2016

Top 5 Books of 2016

Today I'm going to rate the books I read this year. 

Well...not all of them...

Today it's going to be just my 5 favorite reads of the year. Just for the sake of simplicity I'm going to include only books that are new reads for me. Re-reads have already earned a spot on the favorites list simply by being re-read. 

How do I define "favorite"? For me, it is a book I know I am going to pick up and read again, probably more than once. It's a book that I lost myself in, that I either couldn't put down or couldn't wait to get back to. It's a book that I was thinking about while I was supposed to be focusing on little fingers playing scales. They are not necessarily classified as the greatest literature, but they are books that, for me, were magic.

(Disclaimer: I really really wanted to include the book I am currently reading. It ended up being a choice between leaving it off the list or changing the title to Top 6 Books of 2016, so in the end I left it off. But you can look forward to Friday when I will tell you all about it!)

Almost all of these books I have talked about before so I will not go into a lot of detail. I have not ranked them in any order because that is just too difficult. So without further ado, here we go.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

The story of a grumpy old man, a stickler for the rules, a man who no one likes...until new neighbors move in. This book made me laugh and cry in almost every chapter. I'm looking forward to reading more of Backman's books in the coming year. 








Crosstalk by Connie Willis 

A sci-fi romantic comedy romp. Bridie works for a cell phone and communications company but discovers the dangers of too much communication when her implant (designed to allow her to feel what her boyfriend feels) delivers more than promised. Willis is one of my favorite authors and her books are always a win for me!





Furthermore by Taherah Mafi 

A middle grade fantasy about Alice, a colorless girl in a colorful world. Definite hints of Alice in Wonderland but overall a creative story written in beautiful poetic prose. 







The Secret Keepers by Trenton Lee Stewart

Another middle grade book, this one is a mystery/adventure story including an invisible villain, hidden treasure, and a lighthouse. What more could you ask for?







Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien

Unbelievably, I read this book for the first time this year. I immediately fell in love with it and was momentarily sad that I had not read it at a child. But at least I get to enjoy it now and pass it on to my nieces. If you grew up watching the movie but never read the book be sure to change that in the coming year!


No comments:

Post a Comment