Monday, December 5, 2016

Un-put-down-able Books

After binge reading the entire Hunger Games trilogy this weekend I got to thinking about other books that suck me in. I admit, they are few and far between. I usually like to take my time with books and not feel rushed. As I thought about it I also realized that it takes a certain type of book to do it, some mysterious quality that makes it addictive. Books that I devour in one sitting are not necessarily my favorite books or even my favorite genre. There is just something about them that makes you keep turning the page, makes you want to know what happens next. So today I'm going to talk about recent reads that have had this same impact on me. (Recent = books read this calendar year)


Way back at the beginning of the year I read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. This is not something I would normally pick up. Thrillers are not my normal go-to reads but we were reading it for a book club I was part of at the time. I think I read this book in two days. I liked it. It's not a new favorite but I did like it. It read quickly and was fast paced and full of plot twists and surprises. It just keeps reeling you in. You want to know what happens. You don't want to be left in the dark. (Just a brief warning if you are a more sensitive reader than I, there is quite a bit of rough language.)





The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Forgive me for being late to the party but I had never read this book until this year. Just in case you're missing the party too, you should know that it's hilarious and you should read it! I think I read this one straight through on a Sunday afternoon. It's not a long book. Find a couple spare hours and give it a try. You won't regret it.


Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
This was totally a cover pick that I got from the library this summer. (Isn't it pretty???) I assumed it was a fairy tale retelling. It's not, but it is about time travel which I also enjoy so that turned out okay. This is the epitome of a guilty pleasure read. It is by no means great literature. In fact it's pretty cheesy and I will probably never read it again. But the day I read it it was just the perfect fit for me and in the moment I really enjoyed it.





The last two books I'm just going to mention briefly because I've already talked about them on this blog in the last month or two.

Crosstalk by Connie Willis is one of my new favorite books. I just love her writing and pretty much any book of hers is going on the favorites list.

Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi, also a new favorite. I really enjoyed this middle grade fantasy story and it is well worth reading.

What books have kept you intrigued recently? Which book have you lost sleep over?







2 comments:

  1. "Crosstalk" and "Age of Myth" were my last two. "The Lake House" from earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys. Of all the books I've read this year none of them impacted me quite like this one. I just can not get it out of my head (and heart!)

    ReplyDelete