Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday 12/14/16

Welcome back for another Top 5 Wednesday! As always, if you are interested in knowing more about this group or being part of it be sure to stop by the goodreads page here.

Today's topic is Series that got worse with each book/season. This topic has also been opened up to TV as well as books so my first two will be from television and the last three are book series.

Once Upon a Time
*sigh* This show was such an amazing concept and the first season was so promising. I loved the characters, the dialogue, and the way they tied so many different fairy tales together. The second season, while not as good as the first was still enjoyable. And then there was season three...and four... I quit watching just a few episodes into season 5. I know the show is still going and people are still watching, but they just lost me. The plots became too weird and good characters were turning evil...I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm sorry...I really wanted to love you!

Lost
I admit, I'm a late comer to this phenomenon. It has only been this past year that I watched this show (yes, all six seasons). I visited Hawaii last year and saw where it was filmed and decided to give it a shot and I really enjoyed it for a while. But in the end it suffered the same fate as Once Upon a Time. It became ridiculous. I have this mental image of the writers sitting around in a room and someone says in a sarcastic tone of voice, "I know, let's try time travel." And someone else, "Hey that's a great idea." "Oh...I...wasn't...actually...serious..."


Okay, enough of that, on to books!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I know, I've talked about these books in multiple posts lately. I do really like this trilogy. I like all three books, but I like each book just a tiny bit less than the one before it. The Hunger Games is a 4.5 star read, Catching Fire is a 4.25, and Mockingjay is a 4. They're all good, just not quite as good as the first one. (The movies get progressively better though, just in case you were wondering.)

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Hey, another series that I talk about a lot and another series that I really do like. However, the later books that focus on Anne's children rather than Anne, while still enjoyable, are just not quite as charming.

The Time Quintet by Madeleine L'Engle
I grew up reading what at that time was The Wrinkle in Time Trilogy and I still love this trilogy. Then, in the late 80s, the fourth book, Many Waters, was published. It was a long time before I read it. I was told that it was not very good, but the day came when I had to discover for myself how awful it really was...and it was...so so awful...so in my own happy little world it's still just a trilogy.




No comments:

Post a Comment