Friday, December 23, 2016

Friday Reads 12/23/16

It's weekly wrap up time! 
This week I only read two books but I am planning to make up for it next week and read piles and piles of books over Christmas break.

I completed a reread of The Reptile Room, the second book in the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I am rereading the first four books in the series in anticipation of the Netflix adaptation coming out January 13 (Soooooo excited!!!). I just love these books. They are so fun and creative and I never get tired of them. 

And then I read this wonderful book:


(Can we just pause for a minute and mention this gorgeous cover. 
This may be my all time favorite book cover.)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I don't even know how to begin describing this book for you. It's a love story, but not really. It's a fantasy but not like any you have ever read before. It is magical and whimsical and unexpected and beautifully poetic. It is the tale of Celia and Marco, two magicians engaged in a duel. It is the tale of how the circus changes the lives of those involved. It tells of a place you long to be able to visit and people you desire to know personally. 

I have read many reviews of this book and people seem to either love or hate it. For me, this book worked and I thought it was fantastic. On the other hand, I absolutely understand why it doesn't work for some people. The plot is on the thin side and the prose just meanders around and often isn't really going anywhere. For me, that is part of the magic of the story and it creates an incrediblely evocative environment. But this book is not for everyone. 

So take it or leave it. The Night Circus may not be for everyone. But for me it was a definite 5 star read.

"People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see."



Thank you for giving me a few minutes of your Christmas break! I hope you have a wonderful holiday full of family and friends (or alone with your books, whichever you prefer)! I will be taking the day off on Monday but will be back next Wednesday with our last top 5 Wednesday of the year. (Hint: It involves literary characters and New Years parties!!!)

Merry Christmas!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment